- Master’s Degree in Music Theory & Composition; B.A. in Music Education
- Licensed by the State of Wisconsin
- 23 years of experience in Music Education (ages 3 through adult)
- Active as a performer, composer, and bandleader in SE Wisconsin
- Award-winning teacher (MMABSE Teacher of the Year)
I started learning and performing on the piano at a very young age. I studied guitar and percussion during my childhood, as well.
I continued studying piano and percussion/drums all the way through college. As an undergraduate student, I also received training in woodwind, brass, and string instruments, and had considerable instruction in voice. I received my B.A. in Music Education from Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa. I was a high school band director in northeast Nebraska for several years, and then came to Wisconsin to complete my M.M. in Music Theory and Composition at UW-M. After earning my Master’s degree, I continued to teach instrumental, vocal, and general music privately and in various public and private schools in southeast Wisconsin.
In addition to my work teaching adults and children to “play or sing”, I have continued to be active as a composer for performing groups and churches in southeast Wisconsin. At various times over the years, I have served as a church choir director, organist, and pianist. I continue to perform as a soloist, and I am currently a bandleader, composer, and performer with my band J-Funk and the WildLife Management Crew.
- Vocalist, Bassist, and Songwriter currently performing in the band J-Funk and the WildLife Management Crew®
- Extensive background in Vocal Production and Visual Performance
- Vocalist for nine years, performing a cappella music in the Milwaukee Showcase Chorus (a member of Sweet Adeline’s International).
I have been singing since I can remember – as early as 3 years of age at a summer program performing a Sound of Music selection. I continued to perform over the years as a vocalist at summer camps, children’s choir, school, church, and community choirs, in musical theater, and in the Milwaukee Showcase Barbershop Chorus as a member of Sweet Adeline’s International. Currently, I am a vocalist, bassist, and auxiliary percussionist with the band J-Funk and the WildLife Management Crew. I have also written lyrics and collaborated on songs the band performs.
While performing for nine years in Sweet Adeline’s Milwaukee Showcase Chorus
, I received some of the region’s best coaching for vocal production and performance. This coaching helped the chorus place 3rd internationally in its category. I have studied and performed a wide variety of music styles/genres that have given me tools to help others achieve their goals as vocalists.